After School Programs to Develop the Full Potential of Students
Our students not only have a strong academic experience, but also have opportunities to participate in our curricular enhancement programs. These programs include fine arts, performing arts, and athletics. We believe that these experiences are critical to the development of the full potential of our students.
Herzl School of Excellence
3711 W. Douglas Blvd.
Chicago , IL 60623
A CPS Neighborhood School
Herzl Athletics Mission:
We believe in the role athletics play in the development of strong character, leadership and commitment. We strive to assist the academic mission of the school and assist students in their growth and development. We believe that if we develop strong work habits on the field, it will carry over to the classroom. While winning is important, it is not the primary measure of success. Herzl scholar athletes will show respect to themselves, opponents, their school and the referees. Dignity in the face of adversity is always more important than the outcome of the contest. All athletes do not perform at the same level, but everyone can work hard, commit to the team, improve their studies and play fair.
Expectations for Herzl Scholars:
- Scholar athletes will be held to a high academic standard in order to participate and they all must live up to these expectations.
- Scholar athletes may not be failing 2 or more classes in any one particular week. If so, they will not be eligible to participate in practice or games until they are meeting these criteria.
- On Monday morning of each school week, scholar athletes will be given a grade report form that they must have signed by each of their teachers, indicating that they are passing their classes and eligible to play. I must receive all grade reports by the end of the day on Monday.
- Scholar athletes must regularly attend school and be on time. If an athlete does not come to school on the day of a game or contest, they will not be allowed to participate unless I receive an original doctor’s note excusing your absence.
- Scholar athletes must have up to date medical records on file with the school.
- Scholar athletes will show sportsmanship at all times before, during and after competition. (example: You must line up to shake hands after every game, win, lose or draw) Failure to meet these expectations can result in dismissal from the team.
Fine and Performing Arts
Our extracurricular programs are designed to provide opportunities for students to extend their learning beyond regular school hours. Students are able to participate in a variety of activities, like caribbean dancing, choir, art, martial arts, t-shirt designs, tutoring and book clubs.